Living Life Fully




I have made a great discovery.

What I love belongs to me. Not the chairs and the tables in my house, but the masterpieces of the world. 

It is only a question of loving them enough. 

-Elizabeth Asquith Bibesco

We get so embroiled with possessions. We find ourselves feeling that we need to own places, persons, and things. We try to possess our lives. and we believe that we can. We need to learn from the butterfly that alights on our hand. If we watch it and admire it, as it chooses to stay for a while, we are blessed with its beauty. If we try to hold on to it, we will kill it. It is in the not trying to possess that we have. 
Imagine what it really means that we can have all the treasures of the world--not to own, but to appreciate, to enjoy....to live with.

AM I CAPABLE of loving so much that I am able to appreciate what which I do not possess? I hope so.

This is an excerpt from Meditations for Women Who Do Too Much

I purchased this book some time ago and it took me half of that time to open it up. I thought the book was going to be tips and tricks on letting go of control. But I never let go of control long enough to sit down and read it. Even though I was taking time to read other novels. Then...one day...I opened it. And to my delightful horror...it was daily journals that took less than five minutes to read....yet said so much. 

I was mortified. How did the author know I was going to do that?? I feel as if they styled the book....just for this reason. Over the last few years I have tried to share these passages with the world. I know the book is titled to Womyn.....but humans in general can learn from these words. 

Today's words are hitting especially close to home. I don't even know where to begin. 

In 2009 I lost everything. My world unexpectedly fell a part. Just as it did this past February. Looking back...I see the trends...but at the same time...I feel as if I had no warning. Maria and I are in the middle of finding ourselves again. Who we are, what we stand for, and why we live. This is a wonderful yet awful time in anyone's life. 

Years ago when I ended up homeless, I found the blessing in it because I was no longer afraid to fight for what I wanted. Losing it all wasn't that scary, but this time it is. This time, I am older and have a lot more responsibility than before. This time, I am not as unknown as I once was. The people I had in my life prior to that drastic change, were a lot more trivial. Not all of them, but the majority of them. I was in my early 20's....we are a lot more invested in the number of bodies around us vs the quality of those people. 

This time I have a wife, animals, and friends that I love. I had animals before, but 3 chihuahuas is very different from the 2 chihuahuas, 1 husky mix, and 3 cats we have now. So, making these mistakes again weigh on you. 

We are using this time to purge our lives and belongings, because the circumstances couldn't have picked a better moment....but over analyzing yourself, while analyzing your entire life brings up some heavy emotions. 




How do you look back on your life and agree with what you have? Do I feel better or worse for having these things. Were these things the reason I lost our home? Do I need this stuff? Does it define me? Does it make me the person I want to be to the world? 

I feel like I know the answers to these questions better now, than I did before this stressful time began. Hopefully I pay attention to the lesson this time. 



YOU KNOW YOU LOVE US

XOXO

MISS OLIVIA BLACK 


BARE NAKED CHEF

















Share:

0 comments